Eggs are a great source of protein and budget-friendly. This is a fun and easy way to eat a complete breakfast. Whole grain bread makes the nest, and reduced-fat cheese adds flavor and valuable calcium. Quick to make and quicker to reheat, make up a dozen ahead of time on the weekends, store in the refrigerator and microwave for 30 seconds a piece to heat up on those hectic weekday mornings. Easy!
- 12 slices 100% whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Tuck one slice of bread in each muffin cup, push down so that bread makes a “nest”, with the corners over the sides of the muffin cup.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a pinch of shredded cheese in bottom of each bread nest. Pour enough egg mixture into bread nest to just fill it. Top each nest with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until egg is set.
- Nests may be refrigerated for up to 4 days and re-heated in microwave for a quick and healthy breakfast.